We found this great tutorial to recycle your old, oversized, holey or corporate printed tshirts you have laying around at the bottom of your drawers. This awesome DIY idea, helps turn these old tees into something more useful for the house or as a fun present. This DIY only requires you to cut them into strips and crochet them into these colourful rugs. Perfect for the bathroom, kids room or even a treat for the dogs bed!
You will need:
- T-shirts (anywhere from two on up, depending on size rug desired), the bigger the better
- Giant crochet hook (I used 15 mm)
1. Cut the shirts into strips, approximately 1 inch wide. Starting at the bottom hem of the shirt, cut in a spiral all the way up the body of the tee, and roll the strip into a ball. Stretch it out as you wind so that the jersey curls up into a cord.
2. Join the strips. If you're working with long strips wound into balls, you can just overlap the two ends for a few inches when you're ready to join on a new strip or to change colors. But if you want to join lots of short strips for quick colour changes, you'll want to join them first so you don't have to keep stopping. Cut a small slit in the ends of the two strips you want to join, about 1/2 inch from the end and about 1/4 inch wide. Insert one strip into the slit and reverse it back it itself to join them together.
3. To crochet. With the jumbo hook, begin working with your homemade tshirt yarn into whatever shape you'd like-round, oval, or rectangular. It is recommended to use a single crochet for a solid, sturdy fabric, but you can try other stitches, too. Allow the strips to curl up and twist as you work to make a thick, durable rug. You'll find it can be a little more physically challenging to work at such a large gauge, but the reward is how quickly the piece will grow when your stitches measure 3/4 inch across!
Get the full tutorial here at craftstylish